Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a
Fantastic Future, Ashlee Vance
1) You read about an
entrepreneur:
·
What surprised you the most?
The thing that surprised
me the most about Elon Musk was he decided to form his own rocket company with
there already being established corporations and institutions. He felt like the
space program stopped improving about a century ago, so he wanted to make a
change in the way people thought. Eventually, he infused SpaceX with $100
Million from the sale of PayPal.
·
What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
I most admire his poise
and his willingness to keep fighting to the end to be able to save his
companies. For example, when the press seized a negative memo leaked
anonymously, he almost considered letting the companies fail. Instead, he
bluffed investors trying to hardball him and got the money to keep his
companies alive. That willingness to not back down in the face of adversity and
take a risk is what I admire the most about this him.
·
What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
The thing that I least admired about Elon Musk was when he had
to live with his difficult and strict father. Musk said that living with him
made life miserable and has vowed to never let his kids meet him. I don’t like
that; your parents are who make you are and no matter if they were strict or
not you should still let your kids meet their grandfather. Also, I did not like
the fact after he got divorced from his first wife he remarried within a few
weeks.
·
Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so,
what did they do about it?
Yes, the entrepreneur
encountered adversity like when his newborn son died suddenly or when his
rockets failed to take off a lot of times. Also, another time he faced
adversity was when he went on a honeymoon with the first wife and a group of
employees at PayPal went to the board to replace Elon. So, what he did about
all the adversity and failure is taking risks and continue to fight and never
quit. He stayed levelheaded and didn’t let his emotions take over, instead he
continued to invest.
2) What competencies did you notice that the
entrepreneur exhibited?
A few competencies that I
noticed that Elon exhibited was always seeing a new opportunity he liked and
then taking the initiative to pursue them and then to invest in them. Another
competency was he stayed committed to the companies he got invested with and
always persevered to make sure that he succeeded in the end. He made sure that
the companies succeeded by taking calculated risks as seen when he bluff hard
balling investors to keep his company alive. Another instance of this was when
he entered the rocket industry and still competed with experienced companies.
Finally, the next competency was he always demanded efficiency and quality.
This can be displayed to Elon putting potential employees through a 500-line of
coding tests, a personal letter, and during the interview asking incisive
questions and riddles. His standards were very demanding, but this is what made
his companies so successful, and how they are different from other companies in
the same field.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading
that was confusing to you.
One part that I found
confusing was that he decided not to return to his roots of gaming and realized
that it would not be the future of humanity. However, he did his second
internship at the Rocket Science Games, a start-up that focused on creating
state-of-the-art video games. This situation is confusing to me because why
would he want to do an internship in something he already turned down the fact
of pursuing video games. Another part that was confusing to me was that Elon
berated employees at parties. I thought parties would be a fun environment to
relax and have fun, so I don’t know why he would berate them.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to
the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
1. Why do you think it is necessary to put
your interviewees through such a demanding process before hiring them?
2.
With all the work-family conflicts you have experienced, do you think it is
important
for someone to have a life balance in the aspects of work and family?
Explanation: I would ask these questions to Elon Musk because
first I would like to know his thought process behind asking people
interviewing for his company. Second, I know from the reading that he had a
work-family conflict and this affected his life, so I was wanting to know his
opinion on the matter.
5) For fun: what do you think the
entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
I think that his opinion
of hard work was that it was the only thing he could do to accomplish his
goals. He put his work over his family a lot, so he could make the world a
better place. He believes highly in working hard to make a change in things
instead of being motivated by other things, like money. Yes, I share this
opinion of hard work that motivates me to accomplish my goals and to get things
done. I have always been a hard worker and don’t plan on stopping now. I want
to accomplish a lot and live a happy life helping make a difference in the
world like Elon Musk.
Elon Musk is surely a very fascinating choice to talk about. I almost choice him if I had not already watched so many interviews with this modern-day genius. I like how you decided to that the least admirable quality that you admire about him is not in fact an issue he has personally, but a relationship with someone (father) that has caused grief in his life. Interesting read!
ReplyDelete